Energy savings "Top 10"
The following simple no-cost/low-cost energy savings tips are recommended as the starting point for your energy conservation efforts at your office or shop.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Use available sunlight to illuminate your work spaces.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps.
- Install LED (light-emitting diode) "EXIT" signs.
- Install occupancy sensors to automatically turn off lights.
- Control direct sunlight through windows with screens or film.
- Regularly change HVAC filters.
- Tune-up your HVAC units (clean and check refrigerant charge).
- Install programmable thermostats.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR office equipment.
- Educate and encourage employees to be energy-conscious and to offer ideas about how energy can be saved. Employee buy-in and involvement can make or break your company's efforts to conserve energy.
- Designate a "responsible party" to be responsible for and to promote good energy practices for the organization and/or facility. Working with managment, this party can facilitate energy savings and ideas to optimize energy use so that overhead and operating costs are minimized.